Monday, March 28, 2011

The Great Holmes

Oh my, what is it about Sherlock Holmes? I just can't seem to stay away. I just finished my latest fix last night --


"Sherlock" from the BBC. Fabulous! I loved almost every minute of seeing Mr. Holmes so perfectly at ease in modern London. But, why, oh why did they only make three episodes? Luckily more are scheduled to air late this year - unluckily I imagine it will be some time until they make their way to Netflix. Waiting, oh bother!


I'm obviously not alone in my love for the great detective. Check out some of these variations:



"Sherlock Holmes" 2009


Fast moving and funny, this was a great introduction for my uninitiated husband, and we had fun seeing the similarities in some of our other favorite shows.



And then there's House,where all of our mysteries are of the medical variety. A version which I shan't recommend, but certainly love.





And Psych; silly, funny, not precisely Holmesian, but maybe if Holmes had been raised in a slightly more functional family?



And back to the original medium, I love the Beekeeper's Apprentice Series. Probably my favorite of them all. We meet an older Holmes through the eyes of Mary Russell, his protege and eventual wife. I spent last summer reading one right after the other, and I must say that I still miss the characters! For the first few nights after I finished I would climb into bed, and when I realized I couldn't join in their adventures, I'd wonder about what they were up to. I know, I'm nuts! The newest edition will be out in September, and may be the only reason to rejoice in the ending of summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment